Friday, March 02, 2007

Week Four: The Light Glove

This week our assignment was to hack a toy, and make it into a wearable object. I went to K-Mart and picked up this neat spy toy that used some basic LED's and fiber optic cable to make a hand's free 'flashlight' of sorts.
I basically took apart the whole thing, down the circuit level. I kept the LED's, fiber optic cable, button switch, and finger hooks. I picked a fingerless glove I had so I could utilize the cool finger hooks that had come with the toy. I thought they might come in useful for a future project.
I soldered some stronger wires onto the switch, and threaded the wires through the cuff of the glove. I sewed the switch, LED's and plastic piece in place, and attached the wires to a coin cell battery on the inside of the cuff to hide the power source. The results were pretty cool:




In all, I really enjoyed this assignment - you can really get some great ideas just from taking apart what other people have already done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home